Friday, June 19, 2009

..::..Melanie..::..



I'm going on the last few days that I will have with my roommate, teammate, and one of the best friends I have ever had: Miss Melanie.

The journey began when we became roommates for the first two terms at AIM. I remember emailing her about what she was bringing and what I was bringing; we found out we had both graduated from WTAMU; and, she was from a small town and so was I! We already had more in common than I thought I would have with any of the roommates I have ever had in my lifetime! And, I had 4 in college! hehe...

I remember the first time I met her. I had just moved in all my things into the apartment. My parents, brothers, and sister were sitting in the living room and in walks Melanie. I introduce myself, she introduces herself, and if any of you know her, she's got this "eye thing" that she does and it looked like she had rolled her eyes at me once we met and I was thinking, "oh my goodness, she HATES me!" But, it turns out, it's just some abnormality that happens from time to time and became something I'd entertain myself and give her a hard time for!

We were both in the same group to go to Sudan, TX for our area church, which I was thankful for just because she was one person I actually knew and got along with very well. Little did I know, the Sudan area church group would become the best of friends I have ever had! I'm so thankful for all of them and very thankful for the memories we have together.

The time came to pick top 5 teammates (5 boys; 5 girls) and then top 5 field places and 5 nightmare field places. Melanie was my number one girl on my list and she has told me I was as well. So, I just assumed we'd be on a team together because we actually lived together, got along, we're about the same age, and we were the best of friends! She had Scotland on her list, but Scotland was on my nightmare list. It was actually the first on my nightmare list. (Funny how God works, eh?) Anyways, the time came for team announcements and we weren't on the same team. I was devastated. I fell completely apart and thought I was happy with the field choice I had been given: South Africa, which was my number one top field choice.

We each went our separate ways. I left for South Africa on June 2 and she left for Scotland mid-July. After a couple months went by in South Africa, I started to feel like it wasn't working out (safety, work, connecting, etc). That's when I really started to think about just going home and finishing my field time in the States, but the phone rings the next week after I had been seriously thinking about leaving South Africa and doing something different. It was Melanie calling me from Scotland!! I was overjoyed to hear from her! That's when I found out that Ashley and Jessi (the two girls who were supposed to come to Scotland) weren't going to be going to Scotland to join her and she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to stay in Scotland or even afford to stay. We talked seriously about me coming to join her and I started talking to Kris. Things started rolling and I had a plane ticket back to the States and paperwork waiting on me to fill out for my visa to join Melanie in East Kilbride, Scotland.

After 3 weeks of staying in the States preparing to go to Scotland, I was on a plane in Oklahoma City headed to Chicago... then to Dublin... and, finally, into Glasgow where I would meet up with Alex, Melanie, and Justin. I was excited, scared, nervous, and just not knowing what to think about the whole thing. Melanie greeted me with a huge smile and hug and we headed straight to the Starbucks in the airport where Justin bought our drinks. :) What a fabulous teammate. hehe...

Melanie and I have been together for 13-14 months and now it's time to say goodbye which is something I am definitely NOT ready for. I'm going on my last few days that I will have alone with her because I have a friend coming in on Wednesday afternoon and after that, we'll be on our own separate ways. I'll be on one plane, she'll be on another. Unfortunately, we were unable to book her the same flight because I booked my flight quite a bit earlier than she had. Things are coming to an end and I haven't really been able to cope with having to leave her. I've been trying my best to be the best roommate, teammate, and friend to her. We've had our fair share of fights, bickerings, good times cooking together, having tea and lots of tea cakes together... we've been through thick and thin together. It's been quite the journey and it makes me super sad that it's coming to an end.

I am VERY grateful that she lives in the same state as I do and will be within driving distance... Amarillo, TX! Hooray for closeness! I plan to see her as often as I can and hopefully plan several movie and dinner dates, Starbucks dates, etc. It will be so weird to not live in a flat with her, but in a home with my family and she won't be there. There are things that annoy me about her: whistling, humming, singing, smacking... and I told her last night that there's probably going to be a day when I really miss that, but it's not today. :) And, I'm sure there are lots of things that annoy her about me, but that's just how it goes with roommates and with people in general. You're not going to find someone who is exactly how you want them to be, but I am incredibly thankful that I have had her as my roommate. She's been wonderful. I'm thankful for the ups and downs that we had, because they made us grow as individuals and as friends.

Melanie, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for being you. Thank you for being there for me in my times of need. Thank you for EVERYTHING! I could seriously never thank you enough for being who you are and for everything you have done. You have been a great roommate, teammate, and friend. I couldn't have asked for a better one! God really blessed me when he allowed me to come to Scotland to join this team. You're wonderful! And, you will be missed so much! I love you and care about you tons! I'm here for you always.

No comments: