NEW HAPPENINGS.
There are a couple of things that have just begun this month that are new to me and I haven’t been a part of while being here. The ladies of the church have decided to meet every other Wednesday at Alex and Gillian Gear’s home (our coordinators). For the two times we met this month, we first discussed what we would like to study and had a prayer night on the other night. We will be studying out of a book that goes along with the books: Ruth and Esther. The book we decided to read is called, “Be Committed: Doing God’s Will Whatever the Cost.” It sounds like it will be an interesting study and I’m really excited about learning more about the books Ruth and Esther. I’ve never actually sat down and studied these two books of the Bible, but it’s about time I did! I’m looking forward to it.
The youth nights for the high school and college aged kids are held every other Friday (the Fridays that don’t fall on the same weeks we meet for ladies’ study). For the past two weeks, we have had several youth from our church come, but they’ve also invited friends to come along as well. We’ve really had a great turn out each time. We hold these nights at the community hall, which is the building the church meets at every Sunday and Tuesday. We play ping-pong, foosball, Wii, Xbox, card games (Uno, spoons, etc.), Jenga, chess, and lots of other things. Snacks and soda are provided at each youth night at a very low price. There’s talk of holding a movie night some night and having pop corn and soda. It really seems like this is a great outreach to those out in the community and everyone seems to have a great time as well.

BURNS SUPPER.
Because I don’t really know much about Robert Burns or why there is a Burns supper or Burns night, I researched it on Wikipedia and found this.
Robert Burns (also known as Rabbie Burns, Scotland's favorite son, the Ploughman Poet, the Bard of Ayrshire and in Scotland as simply The Bard) was a poet and a lyricist. He is widely regarded as the national poet of Scotland, and is celebrated worldwide. He is the best known of the poets who have written in the Scots language. He is regarded as a pioneer of the Romantic Movement and after his death became a great source of inspiration to the founders of both liberalism and socialism. A cultural icon in Scotland and among the Scottish Diaspora around the world, celebration of his life and work became almost a national charismatic cult during the 19th and 20th centuries, and his influence has long been strong on Scottish literature.

Burns Night, effectively a second national day, is celebrated on January 25th with Burns suppers around the world. The format of Burns suppers has not changed since Robert's death in 1796. The basic format starts with a general welcome and announcements followed with the Selkirk Grace. After the grace comes the piping and cutting of the haggis, where Robert's famous “Address to a Haggis” is read and the haggis is cut open. The event usually allows for people to start eating just after the haggis is presented. This is when the reading called the "immortal memory", an overview of Robert's life and work, is given; the event usually concludes with the singing of Auld Lang Syne.
We celebrated Burns night at Vicki Onsaturday’s home. There was a crock pot full of haggis, mashed potatoes, and mashed turnips/carrots. Tom Brydson did the piping and cutting of the haggis. He did, indeed, read “Address to a Haggis” where he got so into it and right before cutting the haggis, his dentures popped right out of his mouth and onto the floor! We had a good laugh, as did he, but continued on and cut open the haggis. However, we didn’t sing Auld Lang Syne at the conclusion of the night, but we did sing along as Drew Phillips played his guitar. Mixtures of Scottish and American tunes were played. It was an amazing night of fellowship!

WHAT’S HAGGIS?
There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet (which is raw beef or mutton fat), spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. That’s exactly what we had at Burns night. It’s quite good mixed in with mashed potatoes! Another modern haggis-based dish is 'Flying Scotsman', which is chicken stuffed with haggis. I have also tried this with a peppercorn sauce and it is absolutely delicious! I’ve had haggis only three times while being here.
UPDATES ON THE WORK.
While working at the primary school, I’ve started to learn the teachers’ names (almost all of them, and there are quite a few), which has been difficult because I’m in one area of the school all day. But, it has gotten to the point where teachers will ask for me, by name, to come and help every afternoon with their class. Every Wednesday afternoon, I work with Miss Robertson’s primary one and two class with painting. I have never seen kids so excited to see me and always asking, “Can I be with you?” I have a blast painting with them and getting to know them better each time. They’re such a joy and so innocent. They serve as reminders for me to always be child-like in faith.
ShopMobility is such a blast! The elderly have really gotten to know me and vice versa. It’s been a pleasure working on the bus and I couldn’t imagine myself being stuck in the office part of the job! A lady named, Nancy, was on the bus one Monday (she’s normally on Wednesdays and Fridays), but she had said something to Alex (driver of the bus) and Louise (worker/driver of the bus when Alex isn’t there) that, she “can tell that she [Neysia] loves her job by the way she smiles all the time. She’s good.” Being like Jesus really does make a difference and I can only give him credit for the way I am in everything I do. People are watching you all the time.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
I can never thank you enough for all that you have done and continue to do for me and for the work being done here in Scotland. God is really being glorified through your support! Thanks for making a difference with me!
Prayer requests:
* Our families
* Our team and the work being done in East Kilbride
* Michael Todd still recovering
* West Mains Church of Christ
* 2007-2010 AIMers on the field:
-Albania
-New Zealand
-Mexico (3 teams)
-Honduras
-South Africa
-Grass Valley, California
-Childress, Texas
Until next time, love to you all...