Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's been a while!

For those of you who may not know the newest news, I have decided to move back to Texas on July 1st. That’s the earliest we can leave the field to prepare for college, a job, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the field here, I’m just ready to get back to the States and start a job. I have several opportunities that lie in front of me, so I’m trying to keep my options open at the moment, but realize I have to make a decision soon because I’ll be leaving in less than five months!

I have been looking into getting my teaching certificate through a program called iteachTexas. It’s web-based and takes 6-months to complete. During the 6-month period, I’ll be taking different courses as well as working a full-time job as a teacher. It’s a probation-certificate which just means, “I’m working on my certificate and will have it very soon.” So, that’s an option and will probably happen this year or next depending on how things work out.

Another option is to work as a substitute teacher where I’ll be able to sub anywhere from three to five days a week and with having a college degree, I’ll be paid more than a sub without a degree would. Kind of strange because I don’t think subs really do all that much, but hey, I’m not complaining! :)

I’m also looking into subbing as well as doing something else on the side, but nothing I want to really bring up at the moment until I get the “official” word that it’s do-able! If it’s possible, I’ll for sure jump into it and then let you all know what it is I’ll be doing! :)

It’s been the most stressful and overwhelming time of my life; the time where I have to decide what I want to be when I grow-up. Haha. I’ve experienced the social work part of my degree that I actually went to college for, but unfortunately, during my internship I realized that I probably made the wrong decision, but it was obviously way too late to change my mind and go a different direction because I had three months left until graduating from college.

What I realized about social work was that there was way too much paperwork involved and not enough interaction with the people around me. I’m a people-person and this job spends more time in the office than with people. It wasn’t for me and probably never will be. The difference between a teaching certificate and a social work degree is that with a certificate, I’ll be around kids all day long. It will be my job to be around people and I love that!

I’ve been working with primary one here in Scotland. Primary one is the same as kindergarten. It’s just a different name for it. I have really fallen in love with the children and it has opened my eyes to the world of teaching. I think it’s something I would love, enjoy, and look forward to each and everyday. Children can be a handful sometimes, but that’s a known fact already! :) I’m really looking forward to seeing where God places me and how He’s going to work through me in the next few months.

So, my flight back to Texas will be with a really good and old friend of mine from high school. Before I planned on moving back for good on July 1st, I was planning to visit July 1st – 24th, so my ticket was already bought and so, I got to thinking, maybe someone could come visit that last week of June and fly back to the States with me to surprise my family (no one knew I was planning this “surprise” trip other than my mom). I messaged Kayla Graham and she was so excited and we jumped on this idea of her coming to visit that last week in June and it worked out great, because she doesn’t like to fly alone anyways, so luckily I was able to plan the flights back on July 1st to where we could sit by each other on each flight (Glasgow to Manchester to Chicago to Dallas to Amarillo). But, now that I’m leaving for good on that day, it still worked out perfectly. Sure, I bought a roundtrip ticket, BUT come to find out, this ticket is $500-$600 cheaper than a one-way ticket would have been. I guess it worked out in a good way!

My high school buddy, Kayla, will be arriving in Glasgow on June 24th and leaving with me on July 1st at 7am from Glasgow. We’ll be arriving in Amarillo on July 1st at 8:10pm. During the week she’s here, I’m hoping to be able to take her to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, and possibly one other place that I haven’t decided on where we should go yet. It’s exciting and I can’t wait to see her!

Because we have three weeks worth of vacation/holiday time while we are here in Scotland, Melanie and I have decided to take 3-days off and head to Paris, France for my birthday. We’ll be leaving March 23rd and arriving back here on the 26th. We plan on visiting the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, a couple other churches, the Louvre, and no telling what else! It will be really neat to see the sights and have a few days of rest and a break.

So, I guess that’s all I really have for now. :) I’m actually thoughtless right now! I hope each of you know how much you’re loved, missed, and thought of by me! Have a blessed day!


Until next time, love to you all…