For those of you who haven’t heard, Scotland will be receiving another AIM team. The team consists of four young ladies: Cassey Clayton from Lovington, New Mexico and she is nineteen years old; Ashley Bolm from Idaho Falls, Idaho and she is nineteen years old; Sommer Centeno from Clovis, California and she is eighteen years old; and, Jessica Rusher from Mustang, Oklahoma and she is twenty-one years old. We will be adding on a great group of girls and we can’t wait to have them here with us!
CASSEY CLAYTON

JESSICA RUSHER

ASHLEY BOLM

SOMMER CENTENO

KIRKTONHOLME PRIMARY PRESENTS: “SPARKLE” & “WHOOPSY DAISY ANGEL”
On December 16-17, the school I volunteer at performed two plays with the same basic story line: the birth of Jesus. I was surprised when I found out that the school would be performing something that has to do with Jesus and IN the school. You would NEVER see that happen in America and for them to have done something like that over here was mind-boggling to me. The nursery (age 4) performed, “Whoopsy Daisy Angel.” It was about the angel who went to tell the shepherds that Jesus had been born, but this angel was the type of angel who was never on time and something wrong always happened when she was around. Her one shot was to complete this task and she did.
The primary 1 – 7 performed “Sparkle,” which was about the Star of Bethlehem leading the way to where Jesus was. There was one particular star that was young and didn’t out-shine all the rest. The stars were arguing over which star the Maker was going to choose. “I’m brighter so the Maker will choose me.” But, the make chose “Sparkle” and her name was changed to “Star of Bethlehem.” She showed the shepherds and wise men the way to Jesus.
I wasn’t able to watch them perform “Sparkle,” because I was working somewhere else that day, but was able to watch them rehearse several weeks before the actual performance. I did, however, get to watch the nursery perform “Whoopsy Daisy Angel” and they did a fantastic job. I still find it fascinating that they performed stories that were based on Jesus. I guess I shouldn’t be so fascinated, but something like this wouldn’t be allowed in America especially in the schools.
WORK UPDATES.
This month was a pretty slow month. The schools were released for holiday for about two weeks, lunch club was off for those two weeks because the lunch comes from the schools and with the schools being closed, there were no lunches, and ShopMobility went on as usual, for me at least. Those who work on the days that the holidays fell on didn’t have to work.
The ShopMobility bus wasn’t all that busy because most of the elderly had already finished their shopping and didn’t want to face the holiday rush and crowds in the town center. I don’t blame them. It was hard enough for me to walk through the center and I can’t imagine what it was like on a scooter or power chair.
I’m really looking forward to getting back to work, especially with the primary school. I’ve really become attached to the children there and have really missed them!
We still meet as a team every Tuesday at Starbucks to have a Bible study. The neat thing about having it in a more public place is that people really start to wonder what you’re doing there every Tuesday morning and those who sit around you stare, listen, and look down to see what book you’re reading and studying out of. I think there will come a time when someone will come up to us, sit down, and start asking questions. I’m patiently waiting for that day. :)
CHRISTMAS GATHERINGS.
We had a Christmas youth club and church party on December 16th, which was a lot of fun. Santa Clause came and gave the children boxes of chocolate; we played lots of games, listened to Christmas music, and enjoyed each others’ company.
ShopMobility hosted a Christmas party on December 18 at a hotel called, The Bruce, which is right beside the town center. We had dinner and a night filled with music. There were several other groups there, other than ShopMobility; people from schools and other organizations.
There was a girls’ night out on December 20th for the women in the church. We went to The Wishing Well to have dinner, play games, and play Secret Santa. I had a blast with all the women and got to know them a little better.
A SCOTTISH CHRISTMAS WITH THE PHILLIPS’.
I wasn’t real sure how this Christmas was going to turn out because it was my very first Christmas to miss and I wasn’t even in the same country. I was surprised when I woke up Christmas day and found myself happy and not the slightest bit homesick. It was truly a blessing because I would rather be cheerful than upset and tearful all day.
Melanie and I made a tent in our living room on Christmas Eve with our couch and two chairs and sheets. We placed our top mattresses from our beds underneath the tent and placed our television on the floor so we could watch Christmas movies all day and through the night, at least until midnight. The tent is a tradition me and my brothers and sister do every Christmas Eve, so I wasn’t about to go this Christmas without sleeping in the traditional tent.
We sprinkled magical reindeer food out our window onto the grass outside our apartment that night and to our surprise, it worked! Santa came and filled our stockings with lots of goodies! Melanie and I opened all our gifts we had received from home and from our friends here in Scotland. I think it took me about two to three hours to finally straighten the living room and organize all the gifts I had received!
That afternoon, we went to Drew and Sheena Phillips’ home to have a Christmas dinner and watch a few movies together. Our team was invited to spend the Christmas day with them, which made it really nice. We had a wonderful dinner and had a great time together watching movies and chit-chatting.
I was able to talk with my entire family on Skype, again, which made it really nice. They ate pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, Christmas cookies, and drank tea for me. Wasn’t that thoughtful? I did miss my family on Christmas day, but there was something about this holiday season that didn’t feel like Christmas. Maybe it was the fact that I’m overseas and it just seemed like any other day because I wasn’t around my family or maybe it was just because it really didn’t feel like Christmas had come. Despite the fact that it didn’t feel like Christmas, I still counted my blessings and thanked God for Jesus and my family.
RINGING IN THE NEW YEAR *2009*
We spent New Years Eve at our coordinators’ home, Alex and Gillian Gear. Several members of the church were there and most of the youth group. We played Taboo and Pictionary, had a table full of finger foods, and watched the fireworks go off on the television at Edinburgh as we rang in the New Year. Once the clock struck midnight, everyone went around hugging everyone and telling them, “Happy New Year!” Even after the New Year was over (a few days later), people still hug you and kiss you on the cheek and tell you “Happy New Year.”
TO MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
I am constantly grateful for your support and prayers for the work my team and I are doing here in Scotland. Thanks to those who sent Christmas cards and gifts. It truly made Christmas in Scotland feel more like Christmas at home. You all are such a blessing to me. Again, thank you for helping me make a difference in the lives of the Scottish people.
Don't go through each day thinking you'll get another one.
>> Live in the moment <<