JUST AN UPDATE.
I decided to combine my last four months into two different newsletters instead of four separate newsletters. February and March will be together; April and May will be together in the next newsletter. Things have remained pretty constant in the work I am doing here.
I was off for about a day or two on the ShopMobility bus due to all the snow we had gotten at the beginning of February. Once we thought the snow was over and done with, here it came! It snowed for two-three days in a row and finally stopped. I haven’t seen any snow fall since. I’m still thoroughly enjoying my time in Kirktonholme Primary School as an aide to one of the primary one (Kindergarten) teachers. She has been such a joy to work with and I couldn’t have asked for a better teacher to work with. The kids are absolutely brilliant. At times, they make me want to pull my hair out, but what five-year-old doesn’t from time to time?
One of the ladies that we serve at the lunch club hasn’t been to the club for the past two months. She was in the hospital for a good while due to an illness she had and is now back home, but hasn’t returned to the lunch club. One of the men who was coming regularly just passed away in the month of March. It’s sad to see them go, especially since I’ve gotten to know them pretty well. Another one of the men was put into the hospital to have some sort of important surgery. I haven’t heard all the details yet, but we were told he’d be okay. We’re down to only two people now.
In the month of February, Melanie, Zach, and I are friends with a lovely lady on the ShopMobility bus. Her name is Nancy. She invited the three of us to her home one Saturday and informed us that we were the first people she’s ever invited into her home and she’s lived there for forty-three years!! It was an honor to have been the first and only visitors she’s ever had (excluding her family). We had tea, lots of snacks, and watched Mamma Mia and The Jazz Singer with her. We had a great time, a good laugh, and wonderful conversation time with her. It was a great chance to get to know her better.
For Valentine’s Day, Justin and Zach decided to make us dinner. It was a really great time to be together as a team. We had scrambled eggs, homemade biscuits with butter and honey (which was something we made ourselves completely miserable with), bacon, sausage, and fried potatoes. It was really the best Valentine’s Day I’ve ever had, but then again, I haven’t been a part of very many, just twenty-three of them.
LIPSCOMB GROUP
During the month of March, we had a group come over from the States. They came from Lipscomb University which is in Nashville, Tennessee. They arrived on the 14th of March and stayed in East Kilbride until the 21st of March, which was the day they left for Nashville.
Melanie and I housed one of the girls in the group. Her name was Amy and she was such a joy to have around! We definitely enjoyed our time with them. Starting that Monday, we all got into a bus and drove into Glasgow where we went to the Govanhill Woman’s Project to garden, plant hanging baskets, jet wash the tiles, and paint the fence. It was the most dreadful day of the week as well! It was raining, cold, cloudy, and windy all day long. We were freezing, but we were able to meet several of the women who lived in the building and see how they lived. The women there are those who are addicted to drugs and trying to quit. It’s a really great facility and Christian-based. One of the women who attends the West Mains Church of Christ works there.
On Tuesday, we worked at the Community Hall where we attend church. The hall was in desperate need of a paint job, so we were there all day painting. It took about four to five coats of paint to cover up the horrible paint that was painted on the walls. I don’t think anyone knew to prime it first!

On Wednesday, we went to a primary school that Justin and Melanie volunteer at (Greenburn Primary School). There, we planted big pots with all sorts of flower bulbs, cleaned a couple rooms inside the building, cleaned up the trees and bushes (trimming, etc.), oiled and cleaned the bicycles that the kids play on, and basically did anything the head master wanted us to do! It was a great day to work outside! Sunshine, no wind, and hardly any wind.
On Thursday, we headed into ShopMobility to mop the floor where the scooters, power chairs, and wheel chairs had left marks on the floor. We also cleaned every single scooter, power chair, and wheel chair that was sitting in the room as well as scrubbed the walls where there were black marks from the wheels of the chairs.
On Friday, it was our day “away” and to take the group somewhere in Scotland to do some sight-seeing. It was definitely some sight-seeing for myself as well. We went to a couple of towns I had never been to and I really enjoyed being able to see more of the country-side of Scotland and not the city. It was nice to be able to get away.
BIRTHDAY IN PARIS
Our coordinator has given us three-weeks holiday to take whenever we please after the month of January. I had the great idea to go to Paris for my birthday for about four days. Thankfully, I had saved enough money before joining the AIM program knowing there would be a moment like this to travel! I was truly blessed to be able to spend my twenty-fourth birthday in Paris, France. Never in a million years would I have though I would ever be given that opportunity. Luckily, getting to places in Europe is quite cheap, much cheaper than it would be to fly from the States, so I took advantage of it knowing that I’ll never get this opportunity again. I was able to see the Eiffel Tower (and touch it!), Notre Dame Cathedral, Saint-Sulpice Church, St. Germaine Church, the Louvre, we went into Versailles, and many other things I was able to come across just by walking through the city. Melanie and I arrived on the 23rd of March and left the 26th of March.
It was very intimidating when we stepped off the bus (that took us from the airport into Paris) and walked down into the metro station (train station) and asked how to get to a certain place and they didn’t speak English. I knew then and there it was going to be a difficult trip, but luckily, we found our way around and to our surprise, many people spoke English, which made it easier for us. We did try to use some of the language, but didn’t know much, we figured it’s better to try than not to!
We came across a little restaurant where we ate dinner for my birthday. It was called, Indiana. It was a Tex-Mex restaurant that had the BEST chicken and cheese quesadillas with chips and salsa! Alright, so maybe not the best, but the best in Europe! It’s hard to find a really good Tex-Mex or even Mexican restaurant around here, and we had to go to Paris to find one.
NOT MUCH TIME LEFT. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!
As you all know, my time here is coming to an end. At the beginning of April, I had twelve weeks left. It’s hard for me to believe that I’ve been here for as long as I have and that it’s already time to go back. I’ve had several days where it makes me sick to think that I have to leave, but I’m very excited at the same time to be back and to see all of you.
I have had some wonderful times and some horrible times while being here. I am so thankful that you have been a part of my journey here in Scotland. You all are constantly in my thoughts and I miss you all everyday. I’m looking forward to seeing all of you soon (so strange to say, but good)! Thanks for helping me make a difference in East Kilbride!
Prayer requests:
* Our families
* Our team and the work being done in East Kilbride
* AIMers preparing to leave the field in July
* West Mains Church of Christ
* 2007-2010 AIMers on the field:
-New Zealand
-Mexico (3 teams)
-Honduras
-South Africa
-Grass Valley, California
-Childress, Texas