Well, I just realized that it's been an entire month (almost) since I've updated this. Not a whole lot has changed since my October newsletter. I'm busy all the time, which is a blessing. I'm working with the elderly two times a week and with children two times a week as well. The children are starting to call me by my name and even run up to me and give me hugs. It's so cool to walk into a school and everyone knows your name.
I brought a book to the school today that stirred up the primary 6 age group. Twilight. I had kids coming up to me and asking me if I had seen the movie, what I thought of the book so far, and even told me stories of how their cousin thought it was sad, was crying through the book, and her mom and dad rushed up to see what was the matter and turns out she was just crying over the book and how sad it was. I haven't gotten that far into the book, but I'm enjoying it so far.
I finished reading The Shack a couple weeks ago and now my coordinator is reading it as he's in Ukraine at the orphanage we just raised money for. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it definitely opened my eyes and my heart. Lots of things in the book really made me think about my life and the way I was living. If you haven't read it, it's a must read. :)
Yesterday, the team went into Glasgow. One of the members of the church had bought tickets to see the production of West Side Story. Unfortunately, he was unable to go due to being hospitalized for reasons we're not real sure of at the moment (prayers for Drew Phillips would be appreciated!). So, we rode the train into Glasgow and enjoyed an "American" meal at T.G.I. Fridays. It's exactly the same as it is in the States, except... no iced tea. Bummer. haha. Afterwards, we made our way towards Theatre Royal. The production lasted about 3 hours, but was worth every minute. I really enjoyed being able to go and it reminded me of my freshman year in high school when the theme for the marching band was West Side Story. I've also seen the movie, but the production was, by far, the best.
Last night was also the night we held a movie night to raise funds for a South African orphanage. A group of us had a great time watching Under the Tuscan Sun and being able to fellowship with one another for a good cause. I always enjoy getting with the members of the church and being able to visit and get to know each of them. They really are my family...
The downside to this country is the lack of sunshine. It's dreadfully cold here and all I keep hearing from Scottish folks is, "Just wait. It gets colder." Colder?! Bummer. Forecast is calling for snow tonight and it's supposed to be barely over 35 degrees. Yuck. I do enjoy the days there isn't any rain, sure there are clouds, but no rain... those are the good days. :)
Today, a man through a banana out his window at me. Luckily, it didn't hit me, but I thought to myself, "what'd I do to make a man like that want to throw a half-eaten banana at me?" I had a good laugh though, and went on my way.
I've met a few people at the gym that I've got membership at. It's been a really good place to meet people. They start to figure out what days and times you come, and not to mention, my accent is a good conversation starter! There's a girl I see there every day and I'm going to try to introduce myself to her sometime soon. It's so cool that you can make connections with people anywhere, anytime, all the time!
Thanksgiving is next week and Christmas is just around the corner. The tough part about it is that I have to spend those holidays away from my family. Wow... my first Thanksgiving and first Christmas without my family. I don't think Thanksgiving will be as hard as Christmas will be. As a team, we're going to be making our very first Thanksgiving meal together. It'll be interesting, but a lot of fun, I think.
I've started listening to Christmas music. For those of you who don't know me very well, it's crazy for me to even turn on Christmas music. My mom found it funny to play Christmas music and I would tell her to turn it off... that Christmas music isn't allowed to be played unless it's Christmas eve or Christmas, haha. Let's just say, being away from home has changed all that. I started listening to it at the beginning of this month and have enjoyed it ever since. Melanie and I will be decorating our flat soon... lots of lights and decorations. Can't wait!! :) The thing I will miss the most, other than being with my family, is the traditional tent we make every year to sleep in on Christmas eve. But, Melanie and I will be making our own tent here in Scotland. Frosty and Rudolph will be making an appearance as well. :) It'll ALMOST be like home...
I'm having my first visitor next weekend! She's been in Italy for the past month or so (just to clarify, she's not an AIMer) and she has some time to visit other places in the European area. I'm excited to see her and to see a familiar face! I'm starting to miss my family and friends a lot, and it's a blessing to have her come!
I've made plans to visit the States, BUT... it's a surprise! I know, I know, I'm killin' you right now because I'm not telling you when I'm coming to visit! :D But, just know, I'm coming.
Things have been going no where but up the past few months and I'm still very thankful and blessed to be here. I really love the people I'm surrounded by and get along with them very well. I'm opening up to them as if I have known them forever. It's really amazing to have family like this an ocean away from my very own family.
I think that's all I have for now, at least that's all the randomness and thoughts running through my mind. :) Well, until next time...
Love to you all.