I've been sitting here. Thinking. Thinking about the words I heard this evening at church. Zach and Justin talked about eternity: Heaven and Hell. It was after hearing these words that I completely fell in love with Jesus all over again. It wasn't hearing the "going to Hell," it was knowing that Jesus died for me. He died for you. He died for the entire world. He loves us so much he died to save us.
My eyes were re-opened and my spirit was awakened. Something I have needed for the past 4 months. Spiritually, I had been struggling to just pick up my Bible and read it, which is crazy for me to think because I haven't had that problem since last August. I struggled with praying. I wasn't doing those things as much as I should or wanted or needed to. I'm thankful that God uses people like my teammates, Zach and Justin, to open my eyes. I think we all need to be awakened from time to time.
I've been to church for two Sundays and one Tuesday. (Yes, we meet on Tuesday nights instead of Wednesdays.) From what I've experienced, it reminds me of the church back home in Texas. It's a small church with several families. They rent a building, which is something our church does, as well. It's just little things like that... and it makes me feel like I'm really home, except with Scottish accents. :)
We meet every Tuesday as a team with the coordinator, but since he and his family are in the States for a few weeks, we are meeting with another member of the Scotland mission team that is here (teammates with Alex - coordinator). But, we meet every Tuesday morning for tea (or coffee - Starbucks) and a Bible study. It has really been a blessing for me to be a part of this. Last Tuesday was my first one to attend, but it was really neat to see how we were able to open up and discuss things. The best part was that it was easy for us to all do so. The Tuesday studies are definitely needed for all of us as far as growing spiritually as individuals and even as a team.
I was able to follow Melanie around to a couple of the places she volunteers. On Tuesdays, she goes to a retirement facility and helps with the lunch there. I was able to meet 5 elderly people and it was really neat to be with them. After lunch, Melanie and I were invited to see one of the elderly lady's homes. She wanted to show us around her house. It was the coolest home I had ever seen. Each home was basically the same (that's what the lady said) and was very spacious for her. The best part was how she opened up to us and told us stories about her husband and showed us her pictures. I absolutely love that.
Another day, we rode a bus that is a part of Shop Mobility. Shop Mobility is a place where the handicap can rent out scooters and such. There is a list of people to pick up and it varies from 9:30am to 3pm (afternoon times are drop-off times). But, we go to each home, pick up the elderly, and take them to the town center where they are able to rent out these scooters and do their shopping. They give us a time to come pick them up and then, we go with the bus driver (have great conversations with them on the way to their homes) and help them with their bags and getting to their door. I love it!
Other than those two places, I haven't really gone anywhere else. This Friday, I will be going with Melanie to one of the schools she goes to. I'm not able to volunteer at any schools (or anywhere, really) until I get my disclosure back. It's kind of like a background check. So, once I get that in, I'll be able to volunteer anywhere. It should be in within the next week or two.
I'm kind of starting to figure out my way around. I know my way to church and to the gym. Not so much to the town center. I haven't figured out the buses either, but we normally walk, so it's probably okay that I don't have it figured out yet. The town center is basically where the grocery store is and all sorts of other shopping places. I guess it's like a mall, except better...? :)
I've officially got all my bags unpacked and my pictures are up, along with cards and notes. It has really made my room "homey." I love the way it has turned out so far. It's good for me to see pictures of my family up. Everyday I see their pictures. I also have pictures that were colored by my cousin, Lily, and my brother, Landon, and a homemade card from a little girl from church. My room reminds me everyday of the people who are back in the States supporting me, believing in me, loving me, and praying for me. They're good reminders.
It's really cool to have our own washer! Our personal dryer happens to be hanging them on racks in our apartment. The radiators, which happen to be our heaters, do a great job of drying our clothes quickly!
Scotland has definitely taken my breath away and has surpassed every expectation I had. Sometimes I catch myself thinking that I'm back home and it's hard to put myself back into realizing that I'm really in Scotland. I guess the reality will hit in a few months... I've only been here a little over a week. Give it time and I'm sure I'll be able to tell a difference. :)
Until next time...
Love you all.